Learn here how to maintain your oral health and stop gum diseases
Gum diseases are painful and can lead to serious consequences such as tooth loss and jaw disfigurement. It is imperative to take adequate care to prevent gum diseases from ever occurring. Read more below about the five ways to prevent gum diseases from occurring.
An Oral Hygiene Routine Is Important
- The first step in preventing gum diseases from occurring is to follow a regular oral hygiene routine. Brushing twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and a good toothpaste will help keep your teeth clean. Regular brushing helps to prevent plaque deposits from building up. It also helps to remove food particles from between your teeth and gums. Brushing also helps you to have a fresher breath every day.
After brushing, it is important to floss. Flossing helps remove food particles from hard-to-reach spots. Flossing is the only way to prevent plaque and disease at your gumline. If you are unsure about flossing, then get in touch with a dental clinic that can do it for you. Lastly, it is useful to have a fluoride mouthwash. Mouthwash helps eliminate harmful bacteria in your mouth. Most modern mouthwashes are effective for up to 12 hours.
Regular Dental Checkups
- It is generally recommended to see your dentist twice a year, with a gap of 6 months. A regular dental checkup will let you know about any potential issues in your dental health. Early detection will help you get treated faster. It is better to get treated early than wait for your situation to worsen. The dentist will inspect your teeth, gums, and tongue and look for warning signs of diseases such as mouth cancer.
It is important to be honest with your dentist and let them know about your dental hygiene routine. The dentist will make recommendations based on your oral hygiene. The dentist will also let you know if a particular area in your mouth isn’t getting cleaned as well as it should be. Alternatively, you can book an appointment to get a professional cleaning for your teeth.
Avoid Harmful Habits
- If you want to avoid gum diseases, then it is in your best interest to avoid harmful habits. These habits include eating many sugary foods and smoking, and drinking alcohol. All these habits have a highly damaging effect on your teeth and gums.
You can get in touch with your dentist to get their advice on quitting these habits and protecting your teeth from further damage. The dentist can even show you how these habits are causing your enamel to be discolored and causing your teeth to crack and chip. You can schedule an appointment with your dentist to clean your teeth.
Get Treated For Existing Issues
- If you are aware of any existing dental issues, it is imperative that you get treated for them now. It is always a bad idea to wait it out and let it worsen. Simple tooth pains can progress into difficult procedures such as a root canal due to disease and infection. Timely treatment can also protect you from tooth loss and the disease spreading to other teeth and your entire gum.
If you are suffering from tooth decay and periodontitis, your dentist will schedule treatments so that your oral health is fully restored. The dentist will give you their opinion about the various surgical and non-surgical treatment options. Based on your situation, you can make an informed decision and restore your oral health and avoid having gum diseases in the future.
Consider Dental Implants
- If you have lost one or more teeth, then it is extremely important to get dental implants. These implants help to prevent your teeth from going to the empty spaces in your gums. Thus the spaces between your teeth stay even. These implants also help protect your gums from prolonged exposure, thus protecting you from gum disease.
Dental implants have more function than just restoring your smile. A full arch-rehabilitation can protect your jaw from bone loss. With age, one may begin to lose teeth, and it is a normal process of life. However, one mustn’t let it ruin their gums and make one become susceptible to gum disease.
- If you are worried about your dental and oral health, then contact Icon Dental Center today. We are a highly qualified team of dental professionals working in Everett and Seattle. Call us today at (206)-225-2882 to book your appointment and let us take care of your dental health.