Let’s be honest, it’s much easier to face the world with an attractive and pearly white smile. And good oral hygiene is just to top things off. All of these together can have a huge impact on your self-esteem and confidence. It changes the way others perceive you.
So we got in touch with Icon Dental Center in Everett, and Seattle to find out what are the best ways to safely whiten your teeth, and they have given us very valuable tips to follow. So without any further wait, let’s jump in.
Table of Contents
Talk To Your Dentist About Your Options
- There are several ways to have your teeth whitened. While minor stains can be dealt with at home with over-the-counter teeth whitening products, heavy stains require professional teeth whitening at a dentist.
So book your appointment today and get in touch with your dentist to figure out the best course of action. If the dentist feels you don’t need a professional procedure, they will put you in the right direction by recommending a few products.
Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening Products
- Once you have talked to your dentist, you can visit any departmental store and get over-the-counter products to remove stains from your teeth. You can find toothpaste, tinctures, and other products that can help.
Pick the ones your dentist has recommended and start the course immediately. But be warned, never overuse these products because they can damage the enamel of the teeth which can lead to teeth sensitivity.
Avoid Home Remedies
- Over the internet, there are several hundred home remedies available that can allegedly help you recover your teeth by whitening them. However, these remedies call for the addition of certain chemicals that can be quite damaging to your teeth.
Even the remedies that call for natural ingredients are not as effective as the internet wants you to believe. So the best course of action is to talk to a dentist before you experiment with these.
Stop Consuming Staining Beverages
- Beverages like alcohol, tea, and coffee can stain your teeth over time especially if you do not maintain good oral hygiene. We know how important coffee is for you but if you excessively drink it, you may find your teeth stained.
Highly acidic foods should also be avoided – these include oranges, strawberries, and others. Acid damages and stains your teeth which cannot be treated at home.
Practice Regular Oral Hygiene
- One of the easiest and most effective ways to maintain the whiteness of your teeth is to regularly maintain oral hygiene. Brush and floss your teeth daily and use a mouthwash to clean your mouth of any bacteria and acid presence.
With regular oral hygiene, you’ll not only prevent several dental problems, but you’ll also prevent your teeth from becoming yellow.
- Smoking has the hardest impact on your teeth compared to colored beverages. Smoking not only damages your gums but also stains your teeth. This is why when you look at someone’s teeth, you can easily tell if they smoke or not.
If you cannot completely give up smoking, reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke and you’ll still be able to maintain white color.
When everything else fails, visit a dentist for a professional teeth whitening treatment. These quick treatments guarantee a whiter shade for your teeth no matter how bad they are. Just keep in mind that you may have to repeatedly visit your dentist for the treatment if your teeth are badly stained.