Table of Contents
Breaking down the 7 most common orthodontic myths – A must-read guide
Orthodontic treatments, such as braces, are often perceived negatively without recognizing their substantial benefits. Orthodontics can seem mysterious without the right knowledge, leaving room for misconceptions to take root. This article debunks common orthodontic myths, providing the information you need to make an informed decision about your dental health.
Orthodontists Are Excessively Expensive
- While it is commonly believed that orthodontic treatments are expensive, it is not true. Orthodontists are healthcare professionals who tailor treatment plans to each patient’s needs, with fees reflecting the intricacies of individual cases.
Whether it’s a straightforward case with a short treatment duration or a challenging one requiring several years, the expertise of an orthodontic specialist is invaluable. Many orthodontists provide complimentary consultations and flexible payment options, collaborating with patients to achieve a beautiful smile.
Braces Are Only Suitable For Kids
- Contrary to the belief that braces are exclusively for kids, individuals of any age can benefit from orthodontic treatment to achieve straighter teeth. Although orthodontic interventions provide faster results in younger individuals, teeth can be effectively aligned at any stage of adulthood.
Furthermore, adults have a variety of orthodontic treatment options to choose from, making it accessible and suitable for individuals of all ages.
Office Visits Are Unnecessary
- While it may be tempting to believe that office visits are unnecessary for achieving straight teeth, it’s far from the truth. Monitoring the health of your gums, teeth, and jaws is essential during orthodontic treatment, and this requires regular check-ins with a qualified orthodontist.
Even meticulously planned treatments need close supervision to ensure they stay on course. In addition, regular visits to your orthodontist help address issues promptly, allowing you to make mid-course corrections when necessary.
Orthodontic Treatment Are For Cosmetic Purposes
- The orthodontic treatment goes beyond mere aesthetics, offering benefits that extend far beyond appearance. While achieving an enhanced look is a clear outcome, the alignment of teeth and jaws during treatment also improves functionality, enhancing biting, chewing, and speaking.
This dual benefit results in a beautiful smile and signifies good oral health, laying the foundation for overall well-being. It’s essential to recognize that orthodontists play a more significant role in healthcare than commonly perceived.
Orthodontic Treatments Are Limited To Metal Braces
- Contrary to the misconception that orthodontists only provide metal braces, various options are available for optimal patient care. This encompasses metal braces along with a comprehensive range of fixed or removable aligners, including nearly invisible Invisalign.
Orthodontists use various tools without being confined to a specific product or service from individual companies. A qualified orthodontist has the expertise to determine the most suitable appliance at the right time, ensuring the best and most timely results for their patients.
Braces Limit Your Dietary Choices
- Having braces doesn’t mean giving up your favorite foods entirely. With traditional metal braces, there are certain foods to avoid during your treatment. However, if you qualify, you have the option to choose alternatives like Invisalign clear aligners.
These aligners are removable, allowing you to take them out during meals so you can enjoy your favourite foods without concerns about damaging them.
Orthodontic Treatments Are Inconvenient
- While straightening your teeth demands commitment, modern orthodontic techniques have significantly eased the treatment process.
Orthodontists prioritize your convenience by providing the following:
- Family Appointments
- Same-Day Treatment
- 3D Imaging and Treatment Planning
- Initial Consultations with a Specialist Orthodontist
Contact Icon Dental Orthodontics today to schedule an appointment with the best orthodontists in Seattle or Everett. Our expert dentists are dedicated to providing the best orthodontic treatment, from prevention and diagnosis to treatment and beyond. Trust us to help you achieve a healthier, more beautiful smile. For consultations or bookings, call us at (206) 225-2882 for Seattle and (425) 337-2400 for Everett appointments.