4 Significant benefits of dental sealants for children that you may not know
Teeth are the primary component of the digestive system. Therefore, to maintain their health and prevent dental diseases, it is important to take preventive measures. Dental sealants are an example of preventive dental care. They are a protective barrier placed on existing teeth to shield the teeth from harmful bacteria and acids.
Children are the most common candidates for dental sealants, as their teeth are in the development stage. These sealants keep the teeth healthy by preventing them from bacterial attacks, leading to dental cavities and damage to the teeth.
Application Procedure for Dental Sealants
- The application procedure is quite simple and pain-free. First, the dentist will clean the teeth to remove all debris and plaque. After that, a washing solution will be applied to the teeth, which will kill the bacteria. The last step is to apply the dental sealants. The dentist will apply it to the back teeth and fill in all the grooves and pits. Food particles get stuck in these dental fissures, and they are not removed through the mechanical action of brushing your teeth. Sealants will prevent that from happening.
Dental sealants dry in a few minutes. After that, the patient can go home and carry on with day-to-day activities without any dietary restrictions. By practicing good oral hygiene, these sealants can stay for as long as ten years.
Let us take a look at the important benefits of dental sealants for children.
Can Be Applied From An Early Age
- This form of preventive care can be practiced from as early as five years of age. Between the age of 5 and 7, children develop their permanent teeth. As a result, the young teeth are in perfect shape and health. To sustain their health, dental sealants are applied from an early age.
Prevent Plaque Buildup
- The biggest benefit of these sealants is that they protect the teeth plaque buildup, which is the no. 1 cause of dental cavities. Plaque is formed when some food particles remain stuck to the teeth. The bacteria inside our mouth feed on starchy food particles and decompose them. While doing so, they release certain acids, which start to wear off the dental crown.
When the teeth are sealed with a protective barrier, the acid or plaque cannot touch the teeth. Hence, the probability of dental decay is eliminated. In addition, dental sealants are easier to clean, and they respond well to the antibacterial properties of mouthwashes.
Ensure Better Dental Health
They are a form of preventive dentistry. Opting for dental sealants from an early age is a wise decision with far-reaching benefits. First, they ensure better dental health. Children are especially fond of candies and sweets, which are the leading causes of dental cavities. With dental sealants, your child will remain cavity-free.
Avoid Dental Treatments in the Future
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), molar sealants do not let the enamel corrode from plaque and acids. The bacteria from plaque is the root cause of the following multiple dental diseases:
- Periodontal diseases such as gingivitis
- Corrosion of tooth enamel
- Cavities and loss of tooth
- Loss of dental bone
These dental issues require extensive treatments, which are not just painful but are quite costly as well. Opting for dental sealants is a sure-shot way to avoid dental treatments in the future.
Icon Dental Center specializes in Children’s Dentistry. Call us at (425) 337-2400 to book an appointment for your child. We provide services in Everett, Seattle, and nearby areas.