Table of Contents
Read below the advantages of dental bone grafting procedure
When it comes to dental procedures with names that can potentially scare you, dental bone grafting has to be in the top three. Although this procedure can improve the lives of many people who suffer from different issues, it is still not very popular.
What Is Dental Bone Grafting?
- Bone grafting is a procedure that has been around for quite some time. It is a relatively non-invasive surgery performed to replace missing bone mass that is insufficient for everyday functioning.
When this is done for the jaw or other parts of the oral cavity, it is known as dental bone grafting. In most cases this procedure can be carried out in an outpatient capacity and recovery does not require any special medication.
Who Is A Good Candidate For The Procedure?
A good candidate for bone graft surgery is someone who:
- Has lost two or more adult teeth
- Suffers from certain bone structure deformities
- Needs support for a part of jaw lost to gum disease
- Has facial structure issues or sinus issues
Advantages of Dental Bone Grafting
Dentists suggest dental bone grafts for a variety of reasons and the success rate for the surgery is also very high. Recovery from the surgery takes about six to nine months but you start feeling better within two weeks. Some of the main advantages of dental bone grafting are:
Restores Damaged Bone
- Dental bone grafting can be used to restore damaged bones in the oral cavity. This is especially true for cases of gum disease and periodontal bone loss. Once the bones under the teeth weaken, it loosens the teeth in the gums.
To make sure the teeth stay in place and are well supported, bone grafting can be used to restore damaged bones.
- Some people have facial deformities that can be fixed with cosmetic modification through dental bone graft. This can help patients regain confidence in their appearance and go back to living a normal life.
The use of bone grafts for improving the structure and contours of the face is a part of Maxillofacial surgery. It is completely safe to undergo this procedure and recovery is often painless.
Support Dental Structures
- Dental bone grafts can also be put in place to support dental structures and implants. Traditionally, to put implants in place you need a strong jaw.
If you have weak bones in your oral cavity, they have to be fortified so they can support the dental implants later. Your implants will also last longer if your jaw has been strengthened with dental bone grafting.
Improve Use of Appliances
- Certain appliances such as dentures, dental implants, and other devices require bone grafting so that the appliances have a strong surface to be attached to.
After losing adult teeth, bones in the oral cavity begin to deteriorate at an alarming rate. Getting dental bone grafts can help stop this deterioration and ready the jaw for the future years to come.
Fix Sinus Issues
- In some cases when a person loses their upper back teeth, their maxillary sinuses can descend and obstruct functioning. This makes it difficult to put implants or other dental appliances since it could puncture through the sinus membrane.
Therefore bone grafting can easily help relocate the sinuses to their proper position and make it easy to install implants.
At Icon Dental Center, we provide you and your children with the best dental healthcare in Everett and Seattle. We offer the best bone grafting services that help your child maintain good dental hygiene. For a consultation or a booking, call us at 206-225-2882 for Seattle and 425-337-2400 for Everett.