Table of Contents
Dentists near you reveal 5 tips to maintain the dental health of children
When it comes to children, tooth decay is a constant struggle for parents. The older children get, the harder it is to reign in their dental hygiene habits. The key to raising children with healthy teeth and gums is to start early. With our helpful tips, you’re sure to save your children plenty of trips to the dentist in the future.
When Should Child Dental Care Start?
- Dental care should ideally begin in infancy even before the child starts to show signs of tooth growth. Although most people prefer a dental sealant as their first step for prevention, there are certain things that you can do to ensure better dental hygiene as well. You can easily wipe your child’s gums with a clean cloth to reduce bacteria. Good feeding practices help protect your child from early dental decay.
Early Mistakes To Avoid
Here are some mistakes that you can avoid throughout your child’s life to ensure better dental hygiene and care:
- Avoid putting your child to sleep with a bottle as milk pooled around the teeth can lead to bacterial growth and decay.
- Make sure your children use fluoride toothpaste but make sure they don’t swallow it.
- Introduce the habit of flossing when they begin to develop good motor skills.
Essential Tips For Raising Children With Healthy Teeth
- Some of the most essential tips for raising children who pay attention to dental care and have good dental hygiene are:
Start Dental Hygiene Early
- Practice dental hygiene on your child since infancy and build your way up as they grow. You can start brushing their teeth with a children’s brush as soon as the teeth sprout out.
As soon as you notice the teeth touching, you can floss the child’s teeth. When their motor functions get better, introduce toothbrushes to them as early as possible.
Make Use of Dental Products
- Dental products specially made for children can be a great way to make them enthusiastic about dental care. You can get toothbrushes with their favorite cartoon characters or in shapes that they find attractive. Mini flossers also make a world of a difference when introducing your child to better dental practices.
You can also encourage them to use Listerine or other solutions as long as they can spit them out.
Make Brushing a Family Activity
- Children don’t have to take care of their teeth alone. One of the best ways to ensure good dental hygiene in children is if you practice it along with them.
Since children learn from observing, it is up to you to set a good example. Brush your teeth along with your children so that they enjoy the activity rather than run from it.
Reward Children for Good Hygiene
- You can establish reward charts for good hygiene practices and positively reinforce your children for keeping their teeth clean. However, make sure you do not reward them with candy as that is counterproductive.
Rather take them to see a movie or get them a toy at the end of the month for a healthier approach.
Take Children for Regular Dental Checkups
- Lastly, you should always ensure regular dental checkups with your preferred dentists. It is especially important to monitor the dental hygiene of children so that any irregular tooth growth, issues with jaws, or any other problem can be detected early on.
Dentists also put sealant on children’s teeth for better preventive effort.
At Icon Dental Center, we provide you and your children with the best dental healthcare in Everett and Seattle. We offer the best children’s dentistry services that help your child maintain good dental hygiene. For a consultation or a booking, call us at 206-225-2882 for Seattle and 425-337-2400 for Everett.