Here are answers to most common FAQs about dental implants
Dental implants are commonly referred to as false teeth. They were invented to provide patients with an option for missing teeth that did not limit their chewing function or jaw strength. Dental implants, in many ways, behave and feel just like regular teeth.
They are strong enough to withstand chewing and biting and can even imitate the appearance of natural teeth. This helps restore the confidence of patients in their smiles and enables them to enjoy their favorite foods.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have many benefits and with their high success rate, are a very safe dental procedure to undergo. Some of the most important benefits are:
- They appear and function like normal teeth
- They are durable and long-lasting
- They prevent bone deterioration that stems from missing teeth
- They do not decay or go bad with time
- They act as a good platform for dentures to attach to
Common Dental Implant FAQs
People have many questions about getting dental implants and rightfully so as the thought of having screws in your jaw isn’t appealing at all. However, before getting to the most commonly asked dental implant FAQs, let’s address the question most of you are thinking about.
No, dental implant surgery is not unbearably painful. It is an easily tolerable pain that can be treated with over-the-counter painkillers as well. Now that we have the most pressing question out of the way, let’s move to the ones most commonly asked:
Who is a good candidate for dental implants?
- Anyone can be a good candidate for dental implants if they have missing teeth. You can get dental implants regardless of how many teeth you have missing. It could be one tooth or a few, some people have a large portion of their teeth implanted.
Can dental implant surgery go wrong?
- It is very unlikely that dental implant surgery will go wrong as it has over 95% success rate. The pain is also bearable and it has a very quick healing period. Therefore any post-procedure discomfort can easily be managed. In unlikely situations, people develop infections.
Are dental implants expensive?
- Dental implants are only slightly more expensive than regular procedures like dentures and bridges. However, even if they have a greater price, they tend to last longer and give you additional benefits such as improved chewing ability. Therefore, when you consider value for money, they are perfectly reasonable.
How many teeth can you have implanted?
- There is no maximum limit for how many teeth you can have implanted. In the case both sides of your oral cavity need tooth replacement, the implants may be put separately. This is because you chew with only one side of the mouth during healing. Or if both sides are fixed simultaneously, then you would be recommended soft or liquid foods.
Are dental implants compatible with full or partial dentures?
- Dental implants and dentures are very compatible with one another. Regardless of whether you have full or partial dentures, dental implants give them a strong surface to hold on to. The dentures simply snap over the implants and are good to do. This even strengthens the function of the dentures and protects the bone in the jaw.
At Icon Dental Center, we provide you with the best dental healthcare in Everett and Seattle. You can find a detailed list of the dental implant services that we offer on our website. For a consultation or a booking, call us at 206-225-2882 for Seattle and 425-337-2400 for Everett.