If you have a first aid kit in your home, you may already be familiar with Hydrogen peroxide. It is a liquid that has many different uses. The liquid is also used as an active ingredient in many teeth whitening products.
If you have ever come across a teeth whitening treatment with hydrogen peroxide as an active ingredient, you may have wondered more than once whether it is an effective tooth whitener or not.
While hydrogen peroxide helps with teeth whitening, there are some very important safety concerns you need to know. For instance, it can cause damage to the enamel of your teeth if you end up misusing it.
To give you an idea of whether it is safe or not, and whether it is an effective treatment for teeth whitening, we have created this guide.
Is Hydrogen Peroxide Effective Teeth Whitening Treatment?
- Many commercial teeth whitening solutions use hydrogen peroxide as an active ingredient. Such products that contain this ingredient and carbamide peroxide are typically known as teeth bleaching products. Peroxide is a natural bleaching agent that makes it an attractive ingredient for these products.
According to the manufacturer’s of these products, peroxide is capable of partially penetrating the layers of the teeth which ends up removing the compounds that cause discoloration of teeth.
- But the success depends a lot on the concentration of hydrogen peroxide used in the solution. Unfortunately, these products don’t have more than 10% hydrogen peroxide whereas professional teeth whitening treatments offered by dentists have 40% of the ingredient.
This leads to a lot of people wondering if a high concentration of hydrogen peroxide is safe to use or not because as we mentioned above, high concentrations of the ingredient can break the enamel of teeth and cause sensitivity.
- If you’re wondering whether these products are safe to use or not, it is always a good idea to get in touch with one of our expert dentists and see if your teeth will remain safe after using whitening products. In most cases, these products are not as effective as the manufacturers describe it and if you take it in high concentration, there is always some damage to teeth involved.
It will largely depend on the condition of your teeth, your age, and how good your oral health is. If you regularly visit a dentist and keep your oral hygiene in check, then using these teeth whitening toothpaste and products may be a good alternative to professional teeth whitening treatments.
How to Use Hydrogen Peroxide at Home for Teeth Whitening
- You can easily make a teeth whitening gel at home using a set amount of hydrogen peroxide mixed with water. Simply take about 2 ounces of 3% hydrogen peroxide and mix it with 2 ounces of freshwater.
You can now swish this solution twice daily for about 2-4 minutes before you can spit it out.
- If you are not a fan of mouthwash, you can always make a gel or paste with the ingredient. Simply use a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide and mix it with baking soda to create a thick and smooth paste. You can apply this paste directly to your teeth or through a toothbrush.
Just make sure to keep the paste sitting on your teeth for a few minutes and then rinse it away. Make sure not to swallow this paste.
Using hydrogen peroxide at home with water or baking soda is an excellent way to whiten your teeth quickly and easily. However, if your teeth are severely discolored, or you have sensitive teeth, then it is a good idea to visit a dentist and get professional teeth whitening treatment instead.
Hydrogen peroxide is not extremely safe to use at home. If you misuse it, a host of side effects can occur in the mouth. The most common of which is damage to your tooth enamel and increased tooth sensitivity.
Schedule an appointment today with one of our dentists and learn more about how professional teeth whitening treatments are better than home remedies and how you can get one today.