Read on to learn the importance of routine dental exams and cleanings and how it helps to maintain a bright smile
Just like annual physical exams, regular dental exams are a crucial part of preventive dental care. Routine exams allow diagnosis of potential oral health issues before they become any serious. Additionally, they help keep your teeth and gums clean. Let’s learn why you should prioritize routine dental exams and cleanings.
During a dental exam, the dentist examines oral health and hygiene to ensure everything is in perfect order. The neck, face, lower jaw, and lymph nodes are examined to rule out any potential issues.
- The rest of the dental exam includes:
- Scanning of the gums for signs of disease
- Observing any chipped, cracked, broken, or loose teeth
- Insides of the mouth are inspected for signs of oral cancer
- The condition of the existing fillings is also examined
In addition, x-rays are taken, and other diagnostic procedures are performed to measure the general condition of the teeth. A routine dental exam appointment likely consists of an inspection of the bite and jaw.
- After the general dental exam, your dentist will move on to cleaning. The dentist uses special tools to extract sticky plaque and hard tartar deposits from different surfaces of the teeth and gums. Dental cleaning prevents gum diseases and treats mild conditions like gingivitis.
After the cleaning process is completed, teeth are polished and flossed. Having your teeth cleaned every 6 months prevents gum diseases and bad breath. Dental cleanings also help keep your smile bright and improve your oral health.
Importance Of Routine Exams And Cleanings
- Inadequate oral hygiene is associated with severe diseases, including cardiovascular disease, strokes, cancers, and several other medical and dental issues. Brushing and flossing at home are not enough to ensure optimal oral health and hygiene.
Here is why regular check-ups and dental cleanings are essential:
Early Detection Of Gum Disease
- Gingivitis, which is the first stage of periodontal disease, can be reversed if detected and treated early. If left untreated, plaque and tartar buildup can sabotage the health of your teeth and gums.
Detection Of Oral Cancer
- Oral cancer is treatable if detected in the early stages. During a dental exam, your dentists look for signs of oral cancer using a unique tool that detects dead tissues caused by the tumor.
Correcting Teeth Clenching Or Grinding
- Bruxism is a condition in which patients unconsciously clench or grind their teeth. Over time, bruxism can lead to tooth damage and changes in the bite. During a routine dental exam, your dentist can detect signs of wear and tear and give you custom guards. Custom guards can protect the teeth and prevent you from grinding them.
Detection Of Health Problems
- Problems such as swollen lymph nodes can be detected during general exams and cleanings. This allows you to treat your pain before it gets worse. Moreover, if you have a cavity, it can be treated before it gets a chance to take over an entire tooth.
Removal Of Stains
- The dental hygienist removes any stains detected during the dental exam. This results in whiter and brighter teeth.
Reduced Risk Of Chronic Diseases
- Getting your teeth thoroughly cleaned at least once a year helps you prevent gum diseases and the risk of fatal diseases such as heart attacks and strokes.
Allow You To Learn Oral Hygiene Tips
- Brushing and flossing are an essential part of the at-home dental routine. Therefore, it should be done correctly. Your dentist can teach you proper brushing and flossing techniques and tips during an exam.
Seeing your dentist regularly can make a difference in keeping your mouth looking and feeling healthy. To book your routine Dental Exams And Cleanings, contact Icon Dental Center at 206-225-2882. Our experienced dentists offer the best dental care. Our clinics are located in Seattle and Everett.