Table of Contents
Your local dentist reveals five tips to improve teeth and gum health
Gum disease, which starts as a mild condition, is a significant cause of tooth loss in adults. Practicing good oral hygiene is crucial in maintaining healthy gums and preventing gum diseases. However, unaddressed gum diseases result in deterioration of the bone and tissue that support the teeth. Thus, requiring periodontal surgery. Here are some tips that can help reduce your risk of getting periodontal disease.
Brush Your Teeth Properly
- The easiest and most effective way to have healthy teeth and gums is to brush your teeth well. it is crucial to ensure that you are brushing correctly. Thorough brushing helps remove food particles and plaque buildup and stimulates gum recovery. Investing in an electric toothbrush can be a game changer when it comes to improving your teeth and gum health.
An electric toothbrush is much more effective in reducing plaque buildup and the risk of gingivitis than a manual toothbrush. In addition, an electric toothbrush helps you save money in the long run by reducing the number of dental visits.
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends the following guidelines:
- Brush twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.
- Brush using a soft bristle toothbrush for two minutes at a time.
- Brush each quadrant of your mouth for at least 30 seconds by holding the brush at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Properly clean along the gumline and move the toothbrush in short strokes.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months or sooner if required.
Use An Antibacterial Mouthwash
- If you use a rinse, use an anti-bacterial mouthwash for your daily oral hygiene. Although rinse is not a substitute for brushing and flossing, it provides a defense against plague and protects your teeth from bacteria.
Several prescription-strength and over-the-counter mouthwashes are available that contain fluoride. They are made to support gum health and prevent gum disease. Regular use of an antiseptic mouthwash can significantly improve your gum health within a few weeks.
Use Fluorinated Toothpaste
- Various types of toothpaste are available on the market, from whitening products to formulas containing baking soda. However, fluoride-based toothpaste helps strengthen teeth and fight against bacteria and tooth decay. When purchasing toothpaste, ensure that it contains fluoride.
In addition, it is also helpful to store your toothbrush correctly. Always use a breathable cap to cover your toothbrush, and allow your toothbrush to dry between uses. This prevents microorganisms from growing on the toothbrush and reduces the risk of dental infections.
Limit Intake Of Acidic And Sugar Foods
- Foods containing excess amounts of sugar and acid can sabotage your general and oral health. Avoid regular consumption of sodas, candy, coffee, cakes, pastries, etc. It is better to clean your teeth immediately after consuming these food items. Failing to rinse your mouth after consuming acidic and sugary food may speed up plaque accumulation along the gum line.
Regular Dental Exams
- Regular dental exams are crucial for maintaining optimal dental health. Routine exams help keep your teeth and gums clean and allow diagnosis of potential health issues before they become any serious. The dentist examines oral health and hygiene during a dental check-up to ensure everything is in perfect order.
The dentist uses special tools to extract sticky plaque and hard tartar deposits from different surfaces of the teeth and gums. This prevents gum diseases and treats mild conditions like gingivitis. Cleaning your teeth every 6 months is crucial for preventing gum diseases.
Improve your oral health today by treating and reversing your gum disease. Our experts at Icon Dental Center can help you determine the treatment needed to keep periodontal disease at bay. If you have questions or want to improve your gum health, contact us at 206-225-2882. Our clinics are located in Seattle and Everett.