Learn the causes and how to prevent cavities naturally from a dentist near you
Tooth decay and cavities affect at least 35% of the world’s population and most adults have a permanent cavity in their teeth. In some cases, they have more than one tooth that has been compromised. Although it is advised to see a dentist for tooth decay instead of waiting around, there are some things you can do apart from good oral hygiene to prevent cavities from occurring.
What Causes Cavities?
The most common cause of cavities has been linked to sugar intake. The modern diet consumed by most of the world is very high in sugar, these sugars break down into acids on the tooth surface. This eats through the enamel and causes cavities. Other reasons are:
- Having dry mouth
- Eating sticky foods
- Not cleaning teeth enough
- Acidity or heartburn
Ways to Prevent Cavities at Home
- Prevention is the best cure; this is especially true in the case of cavities. Here are some ways in which you can prevent cavities at home:
Use Flouride Toothpaste
- Fluoride helps strengthen teeth and enamel, making them stronger against tooth decay. Cavities are reduced greatly when toothpaste has fluoride in it. Many studies have proven to show that these claims are true.
Opt For Sugar-Free Gum
- Sugar-free gum is very important for maintaining healthy teeth. Many people chew sugary gum all-day which increases the acid in their mouth. Sugar-free gum promotes saliva stimulation, making the mouth moister. This reduces the chances of cavities forming over a long period of time.
Reduce Intake of Sugary Foods
- Since sugary foods are known to be the leading cause of cavities, one of the most important things to do is to stop eating them mindlessly. It is recommended to reduce your sugar intake to 10% of your total caloric intake. This includes natural sugar found in fruits and certain other foods.
Try Licorice Root
- Another good suggestion would be to try the Chinese licorice root. This ingredient can actively combat bacteria that cause cavities and other tooth diseases. In popular products, licorice root extract is used in lollipops, gums, and jellies to promote better oral health.
Consider Oil Pulling
- Oil pulling is an ancient technique that has been used to fight cavities. You take oil like sesame or coconut and swirl it around your mouth for about twenty minutes. It reduces the chances of many dental issues and cavities. You must try and do this at least once every day.
Get Vitamin D
- The last tip is to use more vitamin D in your daily diet. Vitamin D helps make your teeth strong by absorbing more calcium. This means you will have stronger teeth and enamel, reducing your chances of getting cavities. Consuming products like milk, yogurt, and cheese or spending time in the sun can help with Vitamin D.
When to See a Doctor
- Although you may be doing everything you can to prevent cavities on your end, it is always suggested to confirm your progress with regular visits to the dentist.
Sometimes there are other underlying conditions that can cause tooth decay and only a dentist can spot them. Therefore visit a dentist regularly so that any development of cavities can be picked up on.
At Icon Dental Center, we provide you with professional routine exams and cleaning services in Everett and Seattle. You can find a detailed list of the services we offer on our website. For a consultation or a booking, call us at 206-225-2882 for Seattle and 425-337-2400 for Everett.