8 key tips for maintaining healthy teeth from top dentists near you
Who does not want healthy teeth? Every one of us wants to have healthy teeth and maintain good oral health. To do so, we must take care of our teeth and follow some important steps. A lot of people do not take precautionary measures when it comes to oral health. They visit a dentist or start caring for their teeth only when the problem gets worse.
This attitude is not correct and dental health should be preserved right from the start. Important tips for maintaining healthy teeth include brushing regularly, using fluoride toothpaste, flossing once a day, seeing a dentist regularly, avoiding smoking, considering using a mouthwash, limiting sugary foods and starches, and consuming water instead of carbonated drinks.
Let us take a more detailed look at what dentists recommend to preserve dental health.
Important Tips for Maintaining Healthy Teeth
Here are some key tips that will help you in improving your oral health and maintaining healthy teeth.
Brushing Regularly, But Not Aggressively
- Most of us know how important it is to brush our teeth twice a day to remove bacteria and plaque. But brushing will only be effective if it is done properly.
Brushing in circular motion is the right way to brush your teeth, taking care to brush the front, back, and top of every tooth. Sawing in back and forth motion is not the recommended way to brush teeth. Brushing too hard can damage tooth enamel and gums.
Using Fluoride Toothpaste
- According to experts, fluoride helps in preventing cavities. Lack of fluoride speeds up tooth decay even if you brush your teeth regularly. Hence one should consider using toothpaste having fluoride as an ingredient in it.
Floss Once a Day
Flossing once a day can help in removing plaque and bacteria between the teeth, where a toothbrush is unable to reach. Dental professionals strongly recommend flossing your teeth.
Visiting a Dentist Regularly
- It is necessary to see your dentist once every 6 months. During your routine examination, your dentist will clean the teeth and remove hardened tartar and plaque.
Smoking harms the body’s immune system and its ability to heal tissues whenever damaged, including those in the mouth. Smoking risks gum diseases. Smoking also affects the appearance of your teeth as they look yellow after you smoke for some time.
Consider Using a Mouthwash
- Dental experts emphasize the use of mouthwashes as they have antibacterial ingredients in them. These ingredients help in removing plaque and bacteria and keep your teeth clean and healthy.
Limit Sugary Foods and Starches
Consuming sugar can lead to cavities. WHO recommends that people should limit their sugar consumption below 10 percent of their daily dose of recommended calories. Limiting to 5 percent can further reduce the risk of cavities. Starchy foods lead to tooth decay.
Drinking Water instead of Sugary Drinks
- One needs to drink water and not sugary drinks to maintain healthy teeth. Too much intake of sugar can lead to serious oral problems.
Practicing good dental care from infancy to adulthood can keep many teeth problems such as bacterial accumulation, plaque, and tooth decay at bay. In addition to this, regular visits to your dentist are very important. Regular dentist appointments help identify dental issues and treat them on spot.
- If you are worried about your oral health and are considering consulting a dentist, visit Icon Dental Center and get rid of all your worries. They will check your overall health and suggest you the best possible treatments. They have offices in Everett and Seattle.