Here is a complete discussion about the different types of orthodontic problems
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry. It deals with the diagnosis, inception, prevention, and treatment of dental irregularities. Almost all of us face a dental problem once in a while and sometimes it gets on our nerves. An orthodontist is a person you rush to when you face any dental irregularity.
Poor oral hygiene and other causes aggravate dental problems. We all want a perfect smile and zero dental issues. Dental irregularities like crowding, spacing, protrusion, reverse bite, open bite, overjet, crossbite, tooth wear, and periodontal diseases are diagnosed, prevented, and treated.
It is important to visit your orthodontist once in six months to keep a track of your dental irregularities and get them treated at the earliest.
What is Orthodontics?
Before reaching on to the types of Orthodontic treatments, let us see what Orthodontics is.
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the correction of teeth and jaw structure of a patient to improve his overall smile. Dental irregularities are first diagnosed and then treated. An orthodontist guides you regarding the prevention of dental irregularities.
Orthodontic treatments involve different types of appliances used to retrain muscles, slowly move teeth, and affect your jaw’s growth by placing gentle pressure on your teeth and jaw.
Before we move on to the types of Orthodontic treatments, let’s have a look at the dental irregularities that demand orthodontic treatment.
Dental Irregularities That Demand Orthodontic Treatment
Here is the list of dental irregularities that require Orthodontic treatment.
- Crowding of the teeth
- Spacing: There are gaps between the teeth which the teeth can not be filled.
- The protrusion is a condition in which the top front teeth sit out more than is normal.
- A reverse bite is the opposite of protrusion.
- Open bite, overjet, crossbite, and periodontal diseases are some other examples of dental irregularities that require orthodontic treatment.
Types of Orthodontic Treatments
Finally, this is a brief list of Orthodontic Treatments. The kind of treatment you receive depends on the nature of your problem.
- Metal brackets, wires, and bands of braces are the mainstay of orthodontic treatment. They are recommended when you have gaps between the teeth or your teeth need alignment. There are two types of braces, fixed braces, and movable braces.
Orthodontic aligners can straighten your teeth without using wires or brackets of traditional braces. They can straighten your teeth anyway from six weeks to eighteen months. Your orthodontist might recommend you either Invisalign or Laster perfect smile aligners.
- It is used to correct the position of the back teeth or to keep them in position while the front teeth are being treated. You will not be able to eat or drink while wearing headgear.
They are used at the end of a course of orthodontic treatment. Retainers hold straightened teeth in place while the surrounding gum and bone adjust to their new position.
- In some cases, it may be necessary to remove one of your teeth to correct the position and appearance of surrounding teeth.
Two-Phase Orthodontics prevent younger patients from having to receive severe orthodontic treatment later in life.
- All of us want to look presentable with a perfect smile. All of us want to smile in our pictures. Certain dental irregularities bar us from smiling, but you need not worry about them now. Icon Dental Center located in Seattle and Everett is your go-to place for all kinds of dental irregularities. All of your orthodontic problems will be treated providing you with the best results.