Water flossers are oral health appliances that make use of a jet of water to help you remove plaque, food, bacteria, and other debris from between your teeth and below the gum line. Since flossing is an important part of regular oral hygiene, it is very important that you floss your teeth at least once a day.
Flossing is important because a toothbrush is only able to reach the outer regions of your teeth and the majority of plaque, food debris, and bacteria are usually stuck between the teeth which are only accessible by a flosser.
In fact, dentists say that people who do not floss their teeth miss more than one-third of each tooth’s surface area. This is a staggering number because if plaque isn’t removed in 24 hours, it can become harder and convert to tartar which can only be removed by a professional dentist at a dentist’s office such as Icon Dental Center Everett and Seattle.
Plaque is the leading cause of gum diseases including gingivitis. By making sure you floss at least once a day, you can prevent plaque from becoming tartar.
Water Flosser Vs. Traditional Floss – Which is Better?
- While both are equally effective and necessary for good oral hygiene, research says that a water flosser is up to 29% better in cleaning your teeth and gums. Traditional dental floss is also harder to use for some people and if they are not careful, it can easily irritate their gums.
This can lead to bleeding and later on, sensitive gums. If you feel that a traditional floss is hard for you to manage, then you may want to give a try to a water flosser immediately. Here are 4 benefits of using a water flosser according to dentists in Everett.
- They Improve Gum Health. Water flosser allows you to quickly and easily remove plaque and food debris from places that are hard to reach. By cleaning these hard to reach areas, you can prevent diseases like gingivitis and other gum-related diseases.
- They are less abrasive. Water flossers are very gentle compared to traditional floss. They are less likely to irritate your gums.
- They are ideal for braces. If you use braces, Invisalign or other orthodontic appliances, you will find it very difficult to floss your teeth using a traditional flosser. The jet stream from a water flosser can efficiently clean your teeth behind the wires and flush out any particles between the teeth without a problem.
- They offer deep cleaning. Dentists recommend water flossers especially to people who have experienced gum diseases in the past. Unlike a traditional floss, the water flosser is able to clean your teeth deeply by penetrating the periodontal pockets and removing any plaque or food between the teeth.
Flossing your teeth is an integral part of oral hygiene. With a water flosser, you can easily clean your teeth without making a mess or hurting your teeth or gums. By ensuring regular dental hygiene, and visits to the dentist for routine exams and cleanings, you can rest assured that your mouth will be well protected from oral health problems for a long time to come.