Table of Contents
Learn about the benefits of inlays and onlays from a dentist near you and how they can help you improve your smile
Meta: Learn how inlays and Onlays can treat tooth decay and restore your beautiful smile.
Inlays and Onlays are excellent dental restorative procedures. Inlays can be used to replace standard metal fillings. While Onlays are used for healing severe tooth damage. For a better understanding, we have explained the benefits of inlays and onlays in this article.
What Are Dental Inlays And Onlays?
- Inlays and onlays are used for repairing a tooth that is affected by moderate decay or damage. Inlays and onlays are more comprehensive than dental fillings. Inlays that are made of tooth-colored material such as porcelain or unique dental composite are used to replace dental fillings. Inlays are bonded to the tooth and used in place of unsightly dental fillings.
The bonding improves the strength of the tooth by helping the inlays seal to the tooth. Dental Onlays are identical to inlays and fit inside the tooth. However, onlays extend into the chewing surface of the tooth to repair cusps.
Advantages Of Inlays And Onlays
- From repairing damage to improving oral health, inlays and onlays offer various benefits. Here is a list of the most incredible advantages of inlays and onlays.
Durable Alternative To Dental Fillings
- Inlays and Onlays are an excellent solution for patients looking for healthy, long-lasting teeth. Since inlays and onlays are made of durable materials such as porcelain, they last for a lifetime. Porcelain can strengthen a tooth by up to 75 %. They can withstand severe damage without needing to be replaced. Inlays are used to repair cavities and other issues, while Onlays are used to fix severe dental injuries.
They provide a long-term solution for damaged teeth by bonding to them. In addition, they prevent further damage, infections, or irritation by forming a tight seal around the affected tooth. They are made of scratch-resistant material. Inlays and onlays are reliable solutions for several dental issues.
Preserve Teeth Structure
- As compared to dental crowns, inlays and onlays are more conservative. This means they require less tooth reduction and preserve more of the tooth’s natural surface. Only the compromised tissue is removed before placing the restoration. On the other hand, dental crowns remove a more significant portion of the tooth to accommodate the repair.
Improve Dental Health
- Inlays and Onlays not only repair the damaged tooth but also improve dental hygiene and oral health. The solid seal provided by inlays and onlays prevents bacteria from entering the cracks in the teeth or gums. This reduces the risk of cavities and further damage. Inlays and onlays are popular and effective teeth restorative procedures.
They significantly improve the strength of the teeth. If left untreated, damaged teeth can lead to infection and illness. Therefore, it is essential to get your treatment from top-notch dentists as soon as possible.
Provide Natural-Looking Results
- Inlays and onlays are an excellent way to replace old, worn-out amalgam restorations. High-quality, durable materials are used for shade-matching the inlays and onlays with the rest of the tooth. They perfectly mimic the sheen of natural enamel. This gives natural and beautiful results. Since porcelain is stain-resistant, the restorations remain vibrant for years.
More Stable Solution
- Porcelain inlays and onlays maintain their size and shape with varying temperatures. Their durable nature makes them a more stable solution in the long term. On the other hand, amalgam fillings expand and contract with temperature fluctuations. This can lead to tooth fractures. In addition, the small cracks can harbor bacteria, resulting in tooth decay over time.
If you are looking for the best Inlays and Onlays Services, get in touch with Icon Dental Center today. We provide multiple dental services in Seattle and Everett. You can find a detailed list of the services on our website. For more information, call us at 206-225-2882.