Here are the top natural home remedies for toothache that provide quick comfort from pain
Mild to moderate pain around teeth or jaws is referred to as toothache. It is essential to figure out the root cause of the toothache to determine the best way to relieve the pain. Here are some of the proven home remedies that provide temporary relief from discomfort. However, if the pain lasts for more than 2 days, it is best to consult a dentist.
Rinse Your Mouth With Saltwater
- Saltwater rinse is considered an effective first-line treatment for toothache. Salt water is a natural disinfectant that helps eliminate food particles, and debris stuck between the teeth. In addition, salt water rinse is also helpful in reducing inflammation and healing oral wounds. Mix ½ teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water and use it as a mouthwash.
Use Cold Compresses
- A cold compress can be used to relieve a toothache caused by any type of trauma. It causes the blood vessels to constrict, thus making the pain less severe. It also reduces swelling and inflammation around the affected area. Wrap a bag of ice in a towel and hold it to the affected area for 20 minutes at a time. Repeat this every few hours.
Chew On A Clove Of Garlic
- Garlic has been used for its anti-bacterial and medicinal properties for thousands of years. It acts as a pain reliever and kills bacteria that cause dental plaque. Crush a garlic clove to make a paste. Apply the paste to the affected area. Alternatively, chewing on a clove of fresh garlic can also relieve toothache.
Use Toothache Plant
- It is a flowering plant that commonly grows in tropical and subtropical regions. The plant contains an active compound called spilanthol. Spilanthol has anti-inflammatory properties that provide a numbing sensation when chewed.
Apply Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla extract has antioxidant properties that make it an effective healer. In addition, it contains alcohol that helps numb the pain. Dab a small amount of vanilla extract on a cotton ball and apply it to the affected area. Do this remedy a few times a day to relieve the pain.
Use A Mixture Of Clove Oil And Sunflower Oil
- Clove has been used as a remedy for toothache since ancient days. Clove oil is beneficial for reducing pain and inflammation. Clove contains a substance called eugenol, which is a natural antiseptic. Mix a carrier oil such as sunflower oil with clove oil to use this remedy.
Use a ratio of 15 drops of clove oil and one ounce of carrier oil. Dab a small amount of this diluted oil on a cotton ball and apply it to the affected area. You can make a mouthwash from clove oil by adding a drop of the oil to a small glass of water.
Tips To Prevent Toothache
- Practicing good oral hygiene can prevent the likelihood of toothaches. Brush your teeth for 2 minutes daily and floss once every day. Schedule dental visits for regular checkups and cleanings twice a year.
Avoid foods that buildup plaque, such as:
- Citrus fruits
- Sour candies
- Packaged chips
- Dried fruits
- Carbonated drinks
You must brush and floss your teeth after consuming these foods. This will help reduce plaque buildup.
When To Call Your Dentist?
You need medical attention if your toothache is severe and the pain does not decrease with home remedies. Book an appointment with your dentist if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Trouble swallowing
- Toothache that lasts more than two days
- Abnormally red gums
- Presence of pus
If you suffer from toothache or have other dental concerns, call us today at 206-225-2882. Our experienced dentists at Icon Dental Center offer the best dental care. Book your appointments today. Our clinics are located in Seattle and Everett.