Table of Contents
Learn how dental cleaning may help you to protect your teeth from decay, gum disease, and other disorders
A professional tooth and gum cleaning service performed by a dentist is known as a dental cleaning. Most dentists recommend getting it done at least once a year. This is to help remove plaque buildup, which can harden over time despite brushing and flossing regularly. Dental cleaning involves oral examination, removal of plaque and tartar, teeth scrubbing, flossing, rinsing, and applying fluoride protectant. Read more below to know why dental cleaning is essential and how it benefits our dental hygiene.
Prevents Cavities & Tooth Loss
- Cavities, also known as caries, are small black holes on the surface of the teeth. They are caused by a bacterium known as Streptococcus mutans. If the teeth are not cleaned regularly, these bacteria create acid. This acid forms plaque which demineralizes the enamel on the teeth.
This demineralization causes small black holes, and thus the plaque spreads into the inner layers of the tooth. If it is not treated, it will fully infect the tooth and the gum. At this point, the only solution will be a tooth extraction.
- A dental cleaning is a cost-effective solution compared to root canal and cavity fillings. It causes less discomfort than the other procedures and takes less than an hour to complete. Regular dental cleaning appointments can save you from the trouble and hassle of dealing with cavities.
Prevents Bad Breath & Throat Infections
- Poor dental hygiene leads to frequent throat infections and bad breath. If the teeth aren’t brushed and flossed regularly, food particles get left behind in the mouth. These particles usually get stuck in spaces between the teeth. Bacteria thrive on these food particles and result in the production of plaque.
In addition to damaging your teeth, plaque also has a detrimental effect on your gums. Bacteria present in the mouth may lead to irritation in the throat, thus causing throat infections. A dental cleaning appointment is going to save you from teeth diseases. In addition to cleaning your teeth, the dentist can also give advice on specific types of food to avoid for preventing bad breath.
Dental Cleaning Saves Money
- A timely appointment at the dentist’s office for your annual dental cleaning is actually going to help you save a lot of money. Most dental cleaning procedures are simple, cheap, and covered in most dental insurance plans. The dental cleaning appointment will also allow the dentist to inspect your mouth and let you know in advance if there is anything to worry about.
Thus, if something is wrong, treatment can be started immediately without waiting for things to get worse. This will help you save money on expensive dental treatments. Dental cleaning also keeps your teeth and gums safe from cavities, infections, and plaque. If left untreated, these conditions will force you to undergo expensive procedures.
Prevents Over-Sensitive Teeth
- It is a common complaint among patients that if they eat something that is too cold or hot, they experience pain in their teeth. This over-sensitivity of teeth can have many causes, the prime one being poor dental hygiene.
If you too experience pain in your teeth, then it is best to get it checked by a dentist. Usually, the dentist will recommend a dental cleaning procedure before initiating any treatment for your pain.
If you are considering getting dental cleaning done, then get in touch with Icon Dental Center today. We are a team of highly qualified dental specialists, working in Everett and Seattle for a long time. We will make sure that your dental cleaning experience is an amazing one. Call us today at 206-225-2882 and let us answer all your queries about dental cleaning.