Learn here what are Invisalign retainers and how do they work
Most people do not know what kind of retainer is best for them after undergoing a teeth alignment procedure. Many people do not wear a retainer at all and their teeth slowly start shifting back into their original place. Invisalign retainers are a great way of keeping your smile protected with its virtually invisible appearance.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Invisalign Retainer?
Invisalign Retainers can be worn by many people, even if they have different teeth positioning. They are usually worn after undergoing an Invisalign treatment or any other teeth repositioning treatment. Since the retainers are made to fit the individual specifically, they are suitable for everyone. A good candidate would be someone with the following characteristics:
- Have protruding or overlapping central teeth
- Have extra teeth that need to be removed
- Have gaps in your teeth
- Have mild underbite or overbite
- Have recently had your teeth positioning fixed
Types of Retainers
There are many types of retainers that a patient may be given after their procedure: These are:
- A fixed retainer is a thin wire that is attached to the back of the first six teeth in your jaw. It is easily placed on your teeth and you get used to it in a few days. The best part of these retainers is that they do not have to be put back again and again.
- Removable retainers are clear and fit atop your teeth. They are very easy to wear and cover all of your teeth. You can wear them for a minimum of three months or longer depending on the extent of tooth realignment. They are easy to take off as well so you can keep your teeth clean and not worry about your retainer.
- Hawley retainers are like a metal bracing for your teeth that keeps them in place. The wires cover the front of your teeth whereas the back of your teeth is clasped. There is plastic over the roof of your mouth. These aren’t very appealing due to the apparent metal elements.
How Do Invisalign Retainers Work?
Invisalign is a new dental treatment launched by Align Technology as an alternative to traditional metal braces. The product aims to provide a dental service that gives people confidence in their smiles. They are better than all other retainers as they are invisible and do not need much maintenance. Since older teens and adults have fully developed jaws, Invisalign retainers work best on them. The overall procedure can be described as:
- Your teeth are first fixed through braces, Invisalign, or any other procedure so that they are no longer crooked, protruded, etc.
- The dentist takes an impression of your teeth and the Invisalign retainers are made according to that impression so they are a good fit.
- As a patient, you are supposed to wear the retainers after having your teeth fixed so that they do move from their original fixed positions.
- Wear the retainer as per your dentist’s recommendation and your smile will stay perfect.
What Kind Of Result Should You Be Expecting?
- The results for Invisalign retainers depend on how frequently you use the product. Most dentists recommend wearing the retainer only three to five times a week. You will notice in a matter of months that your teeth no longer move from their position when you take the retainer off and have completely set.
At Icon Dental Center, we provide you with the best dental healthcare in Everett and Seattle. You can find a detailed list of the Invisalign treatment that we offer on our website. For a consultation or a booking, call us at 206-225-2882 for Seattle and 425-337-2400 for Everett.