Table of Contents
Ultimate guide – Invisalign treatment pros and cons explained
Beginning the orthodontic treatment process is a crucial decision requiring thoughtful consideration. Various factors can influence your treatment choice, from aesthetic considerations to practical aspects like comfort and duration. This article highlights the pros and cons of treatment and the key aspects individuals must consider when opting for Invisalign.
Pros of Invisalign
Invisalign is one of the most practical and effective treatments for correcting orthodontic concerns. The advantages of choosing Invisalign are outlined below:
Fewer Orthodontic Appointments
- Treatment with Invisalign comes with a notable reduction in the frequency and duration of orthodontic appointments. Unlike braces, which often require meticulous manual adjustments and frequent maintenance, Invisalign simplifies the process significantly. The time-consuming procedures associated with braces, such as bonding brackets, changing wires, placing rubber bands, and connecting springs, are notably minimized with Invisalign treatment.
Moreover, Invisalign appointments are shorter and take 10 minutes on average. Invisalign requires fewer appointments overall. For instance, patients only need to visit their orthodontists once every 10-12 weeks. This translates to less time off from work or school for Invisalign patients, allowing for more flexibility in managing other commitments. With shorter appointment times and reduced frequency of visits, Invisalign treatment optimizes convenience.
- The most notable advantage of Invisalign is its virtually invisible appearance. This benefits adults, as colleagues and clients can’t tell you are undergoing orthodontic treatment. The discreet nature of Invisalign is equally advantageous for self-conscious teenagers.
With Invisalign, there’s no need to endure a period of people commenting on new braces, allowing you to smile confidently in photos and throughout your daily activities. The focus remains on the progress of your improving smile.
Invisalign Aligners Are Removable
- Invisalign aligners are made to be removable, particularly when eating or brushing teeth. While optimal results require wearing the aligners for 20 – 22 hours daily, the flexibility of removal during meals means you won’t need to make significant changes to your diet throughout the treatment. Additionally, you can maintain your regular oral hygiene routine by easily removing the aligners for brushing and flossing.
- Although repositioning teeth with Invisalign can cause discomfort, it is generally less painful than traditional braces. The custom-fitted, special plastic aligners minimize the likelihood of cuts on the inside of the cheeks or gum problems associated with traditional braces.
Disadvantages of Invisalign
- Consider these drawbacks of Invisalign before making your treatment decision.
- While the ability to remove aligners is convenient, it also poses a challenge. Patients must be disciplined about consistently wearing the aligners for the required 22 hours daily. Inconsistent use can prolong the treatment process and compromise the desired results, making patient discipline a crucial factor for successful Invisalign treatment.
Inconvenience of Removal
- Removing aligners before eating or drinking can be inconvenient in public settings. Discreetly removing aligners may pose challenges, and misplacing them is risky if not handled carefully. The necessity to brush teeth before reinserting aligners adds an extra step.
- While the cost of Invisalign is comparable to traditional braces, it may still be perceived as expensive. Technological advancements and specialized materials contribute to the pricing. In certain cases, Invisalign alone may not address complex issues, leading to the consideration of additional braces, potentially escalating the overall treatment cost.
Contact Icon Dental Orthodontics today to schedule an appointment with the best orthodontists in Seattle or Everett. Our expert dentists are dedicated to providing the best orthodontic treatment for kids, from prevention and diagnosis to treatment and beyond. Trust us to help you achieve a healthier, more beautiful smile. For consultations or bookings, call us at (206) 225-2882 for Seattle and (425) 337-2400 for Everett appointments.