Confused about how to take care of your dental fillings? When you have one or several fillings in your mouth, it is crucial to look after them. If you do not, the fillings will not last long and you may have to go through the entire process at a dentist’s office again.
Icon Dental Center in Everett, and Seattle shares some valuable tips on how to take good care of your dental fillings at home. These tips will prolong the life of fillings for a very long time to come, so make sure you read till the end before you shift tabs.
How to Take Care of Dental Fillings
- As soon as you get a cavity filled, it is very important to start taking good care of the affected area to ensure that it lasts long. One of the most common complaints patients have is that they fill sensitivity or pain after getting a filling.
If the pain and sensitivity continue to worsen or do not subside with time, then getting in touch with a dentist is highly recommended. Having said that, here are three tips on how to clean your dental fillings and keep them going.
Cleaning Tip 1 – Get Regular Professional Cleaning
- Getting regular cleaning and dental exams are essential for the longevity of fillings. Some dentists even recommend their patients to return after every 6 months for a professional cleaning to keep them intact.
So if you haven’t been to the dentist in more than 6 months, you should immediately book an appointment and get your teeth checked and cleaned.
Cleaning Tip 2 – Brush Teeth With Care
- You have to be absolutely careful when you brush the teeth that contain fillings. Brushing vigorously not only hurts and damages your gums but will also damage the fillings. Ensure that you properly brush your teeth with gentle circular motions and for more than 2 minutes.
Also, make sure to floss your teeth regularly to keep the particles from being stuck between your teeth.
Cleaning Tip 3 – Carefully Floss Your Teeth
- As mentioned above, flossing your teeth regularly is as important as brushing your teeth. But you have to make sure that you do this the right way. There are many informative posts about how you can properly floss your teeth without damaging your gums and teeth, make sure to read these before you attempt to floss.
While flossing, avoid the filling because if you are not careful, it can end up loosening it.
How to Protect Your Fillings
- Fillings can be very tricky to look after. If you feel that you are unable to provide the care they need, don’t hesitate to consult a dentist from our office. We will answer any questions you have related to fillings including how to care for them and how to clean them effectively.
By looking after your fillings and cleaning them regularly and properly, you will be able to keep them intact for a very long time to come. You’ll also avoid the procedure of getting a dental filling again and again by taking good care.