Table of Contents
Dentists near you reveal 4 strong reasons to choose braces
Braces are metallic device that is fitted inside the mouth to straighten crooked, protruding, and overcrowded teeth. They are one of the oldest and most widely practiced orthodontics treatments for getting straight teeth and improving their appearance. According to estimates, 4 million people in the USA receive braces every year. This includes both kids and adults.
The working mechanism of braces is simple. When they are placed over misplaced teeth, they exert constant pressure over them for extended periods of time. As a result, the teeth are gradually moved back to their original position. In the beginning, braces can cause some discomfort as the gums are getting used to them. However, it resolves over time. OTC medicines help channel through the initial pain and discomfort.
Braces are particularly effective for correcting abnormal bites and misplaced teeth in children. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends the use of braces from the age of 8. Braces work well for adults as well, however, with adults, they take more time. Let us take a look at 4 valid reasons to opt for braces:
They Improve The Overall Dental and Physical Health
- Teeth play an important role in chewing, biting, and giving structure to the face. Misaligned and crooked teeth lead to multiple oral and physical health issues such as the development of headaches, ear pain, and continuous jaw pain. They interfere with the normal biting function and lead to poorly chewed food.
Misaligned teeth also make brushing and flossing more difficult, leading to the accumulation of gunk. They are at a greater risk of gum disease and dental decay. With the help of braces, normal teeth function can be performed more effectively and oral cleaning can be carried out effectively.
Braces Ease Certain Orofacial Pains
- Orofacial pain develops in the buccal cavity and spreads to the face as well. One common type of orofacial pain caused by misaligned teeth is Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD). Overbite and underbite prevent the jaw muscles, bones, and joints from working together in harmony. As a result, the patient suffers from chronic jaw pain, difficulty in speaking and chewing, and chronic headaches.
TMD and other types of orofacial pains can be corrected with braces.
Braces Lead to A More Confident You
- People who have misshapen or misaligned teeth hesitate from flashing a smile. They suffer from low self-esteem and avoid speaking, smiling, and posing for pictures in the crowds. Braces rectify the misaligned teeth and give you a beautiful, perfectly aligned smile. They enhance a person’s confidence and improve self-esteem.
Braces Have Modified and Become More Comfortable
- Braces have been around for a long time. They gained popularity in the early 1900s. With time and thanks to advancements in modern technology, braces have become more comfortable and discreet. They are much more effective and can straighten teeth quickly, without being overly noticeable.
The traditional braces are made of metal. They have brackets that are placed on the teeth and a metal wire is passed through them as a means of support. The wires are held in place with elastic bands. Nowadays, braces are available in ceramic as well. Ceramic braces are far more discreet. For less complex cases, invisible aligners can also be used. They are made of clear plastic that is hardly noticeable. Aligners are easier to use but they are most effective for simple cases of crooked teeth.
- To get the best orthodontic treatment including braces and aligners, contact Icon Dental Center. We have offices in Seattle and Everett. Call us at 206-225-2882.