Table of Contents
What are dental veneers and how do they help you improve your smile?
Dental veneers are thin and custom-made solid shells that are placed on top of a person’s teeth during dental treatment. Their primary purpose is to improve the teeth’s appearance. Read below to learn what dental veneers are and how they are placed.
What Are Dental Veneers
- Dental veneers are a dental cosmetic procedure that helps correct and hide damaged teeth. The nature and degree of damage may vary from person to person. This damage includes chipped teeth, discoloration and stains, crooked teeth, tooth decay, and gaps between the teeth.
Dental veneers are guaranteed to improve the overall look of a person’s teeth. As a result, they are a highly sought-after procedure, especially by people who want a long-term solution to their dental problems.
- Before a dentist can perform a dental veneer placement, they will remove a small amount of the teeth’s enamel. This is done so that once the veneers are placed, the patient cannot remove them independently. It is best to consult with your dental clinic in detail before opting for this procedure to know about all the pros and cons.
Types of Dental Veneers
- There are two main types of dental veneers; Porcelain veneers and Resin-based composite veneers. You can select the type of veneer that best fits your needs, but both perform the same function. Porcelain veneers are in the shape of a thin and strong cap bonded over the top and sides of the teeth.
Resin-based composite veneers are similar to porcelain veneers but are comparatively cheaper. They require a lesser amount of teeth and enamel teeth to be removed, and the entire procedure can be done in a single sitting at the dentist’s office. In addition, these veneers are easier to remove and replace. They can be removed in a single sitting.
How Are Dental Veneers Placed On The Teeth?
- If you have opted for porcelain veneers, the dentist will take an impression of your teeth by removing some enamel. This impression will help the dentist create a mold for your veneers. This mold will be sent to a facility that specializes in creating custom-made veneers. During this time, the dentist will place temporary veneers on your teeth while the porcelain ones from the facility are delivered.
The temporary veneers will allow your gums to heal if they have gotten sore due to the procedure. After receiving the veneers from the facility, the dentist will test them and make sure they are of the required color. After everything works out, the dentist will use a bond to place them on your teeth.
- On the other hand, if you opt for resin-based composite veneers, then the entire procedure will take place at the dentist’s office. First, the dentist will clean and reshape your teeth to prepare them for the veneers. The dentist will then sculpt and bond the veneers on your teeth. The dentist will make sure to adjust the color so that they look natural in your mouth.
Next, the dentist will use a light to harden the veneers. Once they have hardened, they will be polished and smoothened so that they appear and feel like natural teeth. It is a good idea to schedule a dental cleaning appointment at least twice a year so that your dental veneers can last a long time.
Do Dental Veneers Need Care?
- Like all dental treatments and procedures, dental veneers also require post-procedure care. After placing the veneers, you will have a follow-up appointment. At this appointment, the dentist will make sure the veneers have bonded properly and are comfortable for the patient. If you are facing any discomfort or issues, now is the perfect time to bring them up.
Although a person with freshly installed veneers does not have to avoid eating or drinking any specific type of food and beverage, they are nevertheless advised to avoid biting hard objects, biting their nails, grinding their teeth, eating chewy foods, and using their teeth to open items.
- Oral hygiene is extremely important, as the person can still develop gum diseases and decay. The dentist will advise the patient to brush twice a day, use a mouth wash, and regularly floss their teeth.
If you are confused about selecting the right type of veneers for your teeth or have any queries regarding this procedure, then contact Icon Dental Center today. We are a team of highly specialized dental professionals providing top-notch dental services in Everett and Seattle. Call us today at 206-225-2882 and let us take care of your dental treatment needs.