Are orthodontic braces worth your time and money? Learn the benefits and risks of orthodontic braces from top dentists in Everett and Seattle.
A person experiences an array of dental problems in his/her life. Each dental problem requires its own unique solution. One such dental issue is crooked or crowded teeth. This problem can occur if a tooth is too small to fit into the space allocated to it by the gum. Poor dental care or increased jaw size due to irregular chewing can also result in crooked teeth.
This issue can become severe if left untreated. Most orthodontists suggest braces to fix the position of teeth. Braces are wire-based appliances that are attached to teeth to fix their positions. They have become quite popular and common. Most of the time teenagers require braces but adults might also need them if they have crooked teeth. There are several types of braces:
- Metal/Traditional Braces
- Ceramic Braces
- Lingual Braces
- Clear/invisible Braces
Today, we are going to list some of the benefits and risks of using dental braces. This information has been brought to you by Icon Dental Center. Their offices are located in Everett and Seattle.
Benefits Of Braces:
Braces are the most viable option for misaligned or overcrowded teeth. The other option is surgery but it is more costly and has its own side effects. Overcrowded or crooked teeth can subject a person to different problems such as cavities, speech impairment, and bad oral health. But dental braces can solve those issues.
Braces can greatly benefit a person both in the short term and long term. They have numerous benefits such as:
- Improving the health of teeth: Braces can help fix misaligned teeth by readjusting them back to their proper positions. This can make brushing and flossing easier for people and prevent the spread of bacteria and oral diseases like periodontitis. This leads to improved oral hygiene. Misaligned teeth also put a strain on certain teeth and jaws which can be really stressful for a person when eating food. Braces can fix those problems as well.
- Improve digestion: If teeth are overcrowded, they might not be able to properly chew food into small bits. This means that the stomach will take longer to digest food and it may not be properly digested. But with braces, teeth will become healthier, and chewing becomes easier.
- Improving speech impairment: When teeth are misaligned, they can disturb a person’s speech patterns. This can be quite embarrassing for some people. Braces can help fix that issue by adjusting teeth to their proper position.
- Preventing bone erosion: If teeth are not in a proper position, the bone structure that supports them from beneath will start to decay and erode. This can lead to gum diseases. Braces fix this issue.
Side Effects And Risks of Orthodontic Braces:
Although braces have proven to be greatly beneficial for people with misaligned teeth, it is also true that they have certain side effects that can negatively affect a person’s oral health. These side effects are a major cause of why many people are hesitant about getting braces. Below, we are going to discuss some common issues experienced by patients with orthodontic braces:
- Problems with oral hygiene: As ironic as it sounds, in the case of some patients, braces actually end up exacerbating tooth decay. The reason is that patients with braces require increased dental care as sometimes food gets stuck in the braces. They must brush and floss regularly. Otherwise, teeth may start decaying and eroding away.
- Discomfort and Pain: According to statistics, around 75% to 90% of patients experience pain at least once during the duration of their braces. This can be a deterring factor for many people. Sometimes, loose or broken wires of braces leave scratches on the inside of the mouth. Braces may also cause ulcers to develop inside the mouth.
Looking for a professional orthodontics near you? Visit our dental clinic in Seattle or dental clinic in Everett for a free consultation today.