Sedation dentistry explained by dentist in a fun manner
Almost all of us have experienced dental anxiety at some point during our lives, especially during childhood. Those of us who suffer from dental anxiety avoid and delay dental checkups at all costs. Doing so is not good for the health of our teeth and gums. Dental anxiety is a common phenomenon and as per estimates, 36% of the global population suffers from some levels of dental fear and anxiety.
Delaying regular checkups can exacerbate dental issues such as pain, bleeding gums, and cavities. To overcome dental anxiety, sedation dentistry is now being used by dentists all across the globe. Sedation dentistry is the practice of using certain pharmacological agents such as nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to sedate the patient. The administration of laughing gas relaxes the patient and makes him oblivious to the dental procedure being performed.
Sedation dentistry is particularly beneficial for people who suffer from:
- An extreme case of gag reflex
- Dental anxiety and fear
- Hyperactivity disorder i.e. inability to sit still for longer durations
To learn more about sedation dentistry, we have brought to you the following fun facts.
Dental Anxiety and Use of Sedation Dentistry Can Be Traced to Prehistoric Times
- Dental issues and diseases have existed since the beginning of time. Although the dental practices of prehistoric times were very drastically different from contemporary practices, studies suggest that some form of dental anesthesia was administered to patients even in 2250 BC. Hence, we can assume that our tough and resilient ancestors were just as anxious about dental procedures as we are.
The Experience is Similar to Being Put to Sleep
- Most patients describe the experience of administration of sedation dentistry as similar to being put to sleep. When they gain consciousness, they have no recollection of the procedure that was performed on them. Hence, with sedation dentistry, you won’t remember the poking and drilling of dental equipment inside your mouth.
Sedation Dentistry Can Be Performed on Longer Procedures
- IV sedation can be used for lengthier and more complicated procedures. This not only makes the procedure easier for both the patient and the dentist, but it also reduces the need for multiple sessions as a lot can be done achieved in a single session.
Different Levels of Sedation Can Be Administered
- Sedation dentistry can be customized to the individual’s needs. Depending upon the type and complexity of treatment and the overall health of the patient, different levels of anesthesia can be administered. Usually, mild sedation is sufficient but in some cases, general anesthesia is required.
Laughing Gas Comes in Multiple Flavors
- The fun thing about nitrous oxide is that it comes in multiple flavors such as grapes, orange, and cherry. These flavors make the administration of medicine less stressful. Laughing gas was discovered in the 1770s. It gets a peculiar name from the fact that it was initially used for making people laugh and giggle in parlor games. The use of nitrous oxide for dental procedures was discovered much later. It became commercially available in the 1960s.
Nitrous Gas is Extremely Safe to Use
- Administration of nitrous gas is the least invasive method for relieving dental anxiety. It can be used for adults and kids alike. However, sedation dentistry should only be administered by experienced dentists.
Dental Anxiety is More CommonThan You Thought
- According to estimates, 10 percent of the global population suffers from a dental phobia which is the extreme form of dental fear. 75% of the total population has experienced mild to severe dental anxiety at some point during their life.
Icon Dental Center offers sedation dentistry for multiple dental procedures. Our expert dentists will help you overcome your fears. Call us at 206-225-2882. We are located in Everett and Seattle.