Are you looking to whiten up your teeth? If so, you’ve probably heard of the Zoom teeth whitening procedure. It’s a popular choice for those looking to have their pearly whites professionally brightened. Before booking your appointment, let’s take a look at the process and what you should be expecting.
STEP 1 – PREPARING
- The Zoom teeth whitening procedure is one that needs to be carried out at a dental clinic, so you’ll first have to look for a certified dentist to carry out the process. The procedure itself usually lasts only an hour but when you factor in the time to get checked, prepared, and wrapped up, it’s best to budget around an hour and a half.
- Prior to the actual procedure, you’ll be asked to fill in some paperwork. If you’ve never visited the clinic before, there may be some new patient forms to fill in as well. After you’ve gotten through the forms, you’ll move on to the examination stage where your dentist will ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy and will be able to withstand the process.
If you haven’t had your teeth cleaned in some time, it may be necessary to have the cleaning done now. In fact, it’s a better idea to have it done ahead of time as getting those stains and calcified residue will make a difference in the end result of your whitening.
After the examination is done, your dentist will record the current shade of your teeth to compare it to the final result.
STEP 2 – WHITENING
- The procedure starts with getting your gums and soft tissue out of the way. You’ll have cheek retractors put in your mouth. There will be more cotton pads shoved into your mouth than you’d think it can hold. Your mouth will feel like a desert, but stick it out – the results will be worth it. To make the process a little bit less painful, bring some lip balm to keep your lips moisturized. After your gums are protected, your dentist will apply a protective layer on your gums to keep them from being damaged by the whitening solution.
- When your gums are properly protected, the Zoom whitening agent will be applied on the front surfaces of your teeth. You’ll sport some spiffy orange safety glasses as a laser light is put in front of your teeth. Once the whitening has begun, you’ll have to wait through four sessions of laser whitening, each taking fifteen minutes.
The Zoom whitening agent is incredibly powerful. The whitening agent works by temporarily dissolving the thin layer that covers your enamel, called the “pellicle.” This layer is what ordinarily keeps your teeth from feeling sensitive to everyday activities. During a Zoom whitening procedure, some people have reported experiencing tiny shocks around their teeth or gums. Some don’t feel it at all. If you would like to avoid the zinging feeling, ask your doctor whether you can take some ibuprofen prior to your apartment.’
STEP 3 – DAZZLING
- Between each fifteen-minute session, the amount of light or whitening agent may be adjusted depending on your needs. Your dentist will keep checking the progress to see how your teeth are doing. If your pearly whites are responding well, you may not even need the entire hour! Once the process is complete, your mouth will be thoroughly rinsed. After giving your lips a little massage, take a look in the mirror to admire your new smile! Although every patient has different results, most see a difference of two to three shades from their original color, which is quite noticeable.
As you get ready to leave, you’ll be reminded of everything you cannot put into your mouth for the next two days. For the sake of your sanity, we won’t tell you everything that’s on the list, but do know that your eating and drinking options will be severely limited for a while. And we mean it when we say absolutely no smoking! That layer that was temporarily removed from your teeth is also the layer that keeps your teeth from getting stained in the surface, and it takes approximately two days for it to grow back. If you enjoy getting out and enjoying food on weekends, it may be a good idea to go early in the week so you don’t have to be the one without a glass of wine on Friday night.
Icon Dental is an affordable, clean & friendly dental office in Seattle – get in touch with us today to see how we can help you maintain a healthy set of teeth.