We have all dealt with sensitive teeth at some point of our life but a few of us less unfortunate ones have had to deal with this problem for most of our lives. While controlling the pain from sensitivity is as easy as using toothpaste made for sensitive teeth, not everyone is that lucky.
Toothpaste comes in different shapes and sizes and not every one of them is designed to deal with sensitive teeth, which is why sometimes you may get no relief from brushing your teeth regularly. In extreme cases, wrong toothpaste can also damage your teeth increasing their sensitivity to extreme temperatures.
In this guide, we want to help you pick the best toothpaste for sensitive teeth so you too can get rid of the pain that sensitive teeth are known for by just brushing your teeth. But before we begin, there are a few things you need to know.
Table of Contents
Why are teeth sensitive in the first place
- Teeth sensitivity usually occurs when there is a problem with your oral health. Sensitivity could rise due to recessed gums, weakened enamel or even cavities. While sometimes these oral problems can be dealt by using toothpaste for sensitive teeth, if the issue keeps coming back even after you have used toothpaste for several weeks, you probably need to visit the dentist.
- Now that we are past that, let us tell you that some people are unfortunate to be born with sensitive teeth regardless of whether they have an oral issue or not. If you have found yourself often feeling pain when you expose your teeth to hot or cold drink or food, you may have very tiny holes in your teeth enamel that may be the culprit for sensitivity. Good toothpaste designed for sensitive teeth may be all you need as a cure.
It is very important to understand what makes toothpaste effective for sensitive teeth because if the certain ingredient profile is not part of the toothpaste, it may actually be damaging your teeth. No matter what your issue is, sensitivity in teeth can be controlled with proper toothpaste. We have listed down a number of toothpastes in this guide that will help you pick the right toothpaste for teeth sensitivity without needing to visit the dentist.
The best toothpaste for sensitive teeth with added whitening effect
- For those of you who want to get rid of their teeth sensitivity and at the same time have a bright and attractive smile, the Sensodyne Extra Whitening Sensitivity Toothpaste may be the best choice for you.
- Sensodyne is a well trusted brand around the world and it is recommended by the best dentists in the United States. The toothpaste gradually helps you reduce sensitivity by filling the microscopic gaps in the enamel.
If you are suffering from chronic tooth sensitivity or tooth ache in general, the Sensodyne toothpaste are generally considered the best in home relief. But just don’t expect to get results overnight. Just like any other toothpaste out there, you need to regularly brush your teeth and gain its long-term benefits.
Sensodyne Extra Whitening Sensitivity Toothpaste will not only decrease tooth sensitivity, but will also effectively whiten your teeth over time.
Best sensitivity toothpaste for extra weak enamel
- As we spoke earlier, some folks are just unfortunate to be born with sensitive teeth. These people often have weaker enamel that causes intense pain when hot or cold food touches the teeth. Sometimes they even feel pain when breathing cool air in.
- If your teeth sensitivity is at a point where you feel pain when you breathe in air, you have extra weak enamel that requires potent toothpaste like Squigle Tooth Builder Sensitive Toothpaste.
Squigle’s unique toothpaste is fluoride-free toothpaste that was built to deal with extra sensitive teeth with its powerful teeth building formula. Just remember that the toothpaste is not a good option on its own.
Only use Squigle if you already have a very good oral health and hygiene but still suffer from sensitive teeth. It is usually used as a booster and those who have added this with their oral hygiene arsenal have reported wonders.
The toothpaste is also actually great for people who are sensitive to harsh ingredients like nitrates and fluoride. These two ingredients are infamous to cause gum sensitivity and canker sores for some people.
Best overall toothpaste for sensitive teeth
- Remember when we said that tooth sensitivity is not caused by oral issues like gum disease or cavities? Most sensitive teeth can be dealt with if your tooth paste provides enough fluoride to fill gaps in tooth enamel.
- The Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief Enamel Repair Toothpaste is exactly what you need if you just want to get rid of sensitivity in teeth. The toothpaste provides a powerful 1,500 PPM concentration of fluoride that helps in restoring the tooth enamel and then reinforces it to reduce any sensitivity in the teeth.
In simple words, Colgate’s formula can help defeat sensitivity in teeth within mere weeks by filling the microscopic gaps in enamel. The toothpaste contains potassium nitrate alongside high quantities of fluoride which makes sure that not only sensitivity is dealt with, but the enamel itself is also restored.
The only problem with this particular toothpaste is that it is a bit on the expensive side and often not quite popular among people who are on a budget. But if you want long-term relief, this is the best toothpaste to go for.
The choice is yours
Now that you know the best toothpaste for sensitive teeth, it is up to you to try them out one by one and see which works for you. If that doesn’t sound too good, then stick to Sensodyne extra whitening sensitivity toothpaste.
This toothpaste is our best pick because it has a balanced ingredient profile and is proven to provide relief.